Items Similar to 19th Century Empire Meridienne or Recamier in Carved Mahogany with Upholstery View More
19th Century Empire Meridienne or Recamier in Carved Mahogany with Upholstery
An exceptionally beautiful meridienne or fainting couch from the French Empire period with graceful curves and foliate and fleur de lys carvings on the mahogany frame, with upholstered back, seat and sides. Northern Europe, circa 1825. Restoration includes securing joints, French-polishing mahogany frame and new upholstery using cream-colored Robert Allen cotton twill. Upholstery included replacing jute strapping, re-sewing and 8 way hand tying of springs and adding foam to original materials and hand sewn forms for comfort. This type of piece is also known as a "recamier" after the celebrated portrait by Jacques-Louis David of Madame Récamier (1777-1849), in which she is painted reclining gracefully on a meridienne at the age of 23. Commissioned by the sitter in 1800, the painting was never completed and remained in the painter's studio until 1826 before entering the Louvre museum's collection. Juliette Récamier was married to a Parisian banker and was one of the most famous socialites of her time.
- Of the Period
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1825
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsFrame is in very good to excellent condition. Ware is consistent with age and use. It has been fully restored, French polished and upholstered
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 40.5 in. x W 77.5 in. x D 27 in.H 102.87 cm x W 196.85 cm x D 68.58 cm
- Seat Height22.5 in. (57.15 cm)
- Seller LocationMiami, FL
- Reference NumberLU98816890723
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 3 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2013
Typical response time: 1 hour
Located in Miami, FL
More From This Seller
$7,500 Sale Price
Late 18th Century French Directoire Daybed in C...
Antique Late 18th Century French Directoire Daybeds
$7,160 Sale Price
Scandinavian Biedermeier Recamier / Divan in Li...
Antique Mid-19th Century Scandinavian Biedermeier Chaise Longues
$2,975 Sale Price
19th Century Italian Empire Writing Table in Ma...
Antique Early 19th Century Italian Empire Desks
You May Also Like
French Empire Mahogany Recamier
Antique 19th Century French Chaise Longues
19th Century English Regency Recamier
Antique 19th Century British Regency Chaise Longues
Small Austrian Empire Mahogany Recamier, circa ...
Antique 19th Century Austrian Empire Daybeds
Mahogany, Bronze, Silk, Upholstery
19th Century French Empire Daybed
Antique 1840s French Empire Daybeds
Bronze, Linen, Foam, Mahogany
19th Century Burmese Inlaid Pearl Recamier
Antique 19th Century Burmese Chaise Longues
19th Century Swedish Empire Chaise Lounge
Antique Early 19th Century Swedish Empire Chaise Longues
19th Century English Regency Style Roll-Arm Rec...
Antique 19th Century British Regency Daybeds
Mahogany, Brass, Upholstery
Rare 19th Century Burr Walnut & Bronze Ormolu C...
Antique 19th Century French Empire Chaise Longues